|Heraldry of the World|
|South Africa heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of South Africa
The arms are taken off the seal assigned to the original Swellendam local authority in 1804. The anchor represents the (Cape of) Good Hope, and the shield is that of governor Hendrik Swellengrebel, who founded the town - the fleur de lis should be blue with a red band. On the original seal, the anchor and shield were placed on a golden background representing prosperity (same basic design as the Cape Town municipal arms).
Variation of the arms
Literature : Images scanned from cigarette cards from the 1930s