|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
STEINHEIM AM MAIN
Steinheim received city rights in 1320 from King Ludwig of Bayern. From 1425-1802 the city was a possession of the State of Mainz, since 1802 Steinheim is part of Hessen.
The arms are based on the oldest known seal, which dates from the mid 15th century. The seal showed an Archbishop of Mainz standing behind a wheel, the symbol of the State of Mainz. Later seals only showed the wheel with the letters ST, but in the 19th century the city returned to the old composition. The arms were officially granted in 1952.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.