|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on March 10, 1978.
The arms combine the old arms (see below) with the typical water lily leaves of the County and former district of Tecklenburg.
The previous arms were granted on June 26, 1931.
The arms are a combination of the arms of the Lords of Steinfurt (swan) and the Bishops of Münster. The largest part of the county belonged to the bishops of Münster (Hochstift) until 1803, when the wordly possessions of the clergy in Germany were disbanded. The local jurisdiction was in the hands of the Lords of Steinfurt until 1421 and from 1421-1806 in the hands of the counts of Bentheim. The arms thus represent the local lords in the main territory of Münster.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.