|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on April 19, 1934.
The upper part shows the lion of the arms of the Dukes of Braunschweig-Lüneburg, who ruled the area for many centuries. The lion is also part of the arms of the city of Soltau. The cross in the base is derived from the arms of the diocese of Verden, as in the Middle Ages a large part of the district was owned by the Bishops of Verden.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.