Solothurn (canton)

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Switzerland.jpg
Swiss heraldry portal
Schweizer Wappen
Armorial de Suisse
Switzerland-flag.gif

SOLOTHURN

Wappen von Solothurn (canton)

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The arms of Solothurn are derived from and identical to the arms of the city of Solothurn. The only difference is the use of the supporters by the Canton.

The arms are derived from the old banner of the city, and is used on seals since 1394. The colours are known since 1443. The shield itself thus has not changed since.

Until the early 18th century the arms were often shown besides the Imperial eagle, as the area was part of the Holy Roman Empire. In the late 18th century the power of the empire became less and less and the eagle was replaced by the ducal crown. The lions were added around the same time.


Literature : Mühlmann, L. : Wappen und Fahnen der Schweiz, Bühler Verlag, Lengnau, 1977 and 1997.