|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were officially granted on November 20, 1876.
The arms show the rose of the older arms of the city, combined with the lion of Saarbrücken. The large arms as shown above, show the city arms as an escutcheon on the Royal Prussian eagle.
The smaller arms, shown below, show the city arms in a black and white bordure. The rose as arms of the city was adopted in 1859 when Sankt Johann became a separate city.
The small arms from 1876
The arms of 1859
Literature : Lehne and Kohler, 1981