|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) Geviert mit sechsspeichigem silbernen Rad in der Schildmitte; 1 und 4: fünfmal sparrenförmig geteilt von Gold und Rot, 2 und 3: neunmal geteilt von Gold und Rot
The arms combine the old arms of the Counts of Riedeck (bars in the second and third quarters, derived from the arms of the Counts of Loon, now Belgium) with the chevrons of the Counts ofHanau (first and fourth quarters).
The wheel in the centre is derived from the arms of the State of Mainz.
Rieneck received city rights in 1250 by the Counts of Riedeck, who had built a castle near the village in 1179. The family used a quartered shield of Rieneck and Hanau. In 1366 the city became a possession of the Archbishops of Mainz and belonged to the State of Mainz until 1803. It is not known when the arms were granted or devised. The oldest seals of the city date from the early 19th century and already show the arms.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925