|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on June 6, 1911 and again on October 2, 1970.
Saint Martin is the patron saint of Olpe, which was granted city rights in 1311 by the Bishops of Köln. In 1311 the patron saint of the city was St. James, which was replaced shortly after by St. Martin. The small shield in the upper right corner shows the cross of the State of Köln. All old seals of the city show St. Martin, but the cross was added in 1911 when the arms were officially granted.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.