Newcastle (New South Wales)
|Heraldry of the World|
|Australian heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Australia
State : New South Wales
Arms : Vert, on a Pile Or another Azure charged with a Lymphad the sail furled proper Flagged Gules, on a Chief Gold a Fleece also proper banded also Gold between a Lozenge and Wheel Sable.
Crest : Out of a Mural Crown Or a Mount Vert thereon a Lighthouse proper. Mantling: Per pale Vert and Azure, doubled Or.
Supporters : On either side a Seagull wings elevated and addorsed proper gorged with a Mural Crown Or.
Motto : 'Enterprise'.
The arms were granted on 20 March 1961.
The main portion of the shield represents a port, the blue waters of the sea thrusting into the fertile green of the land. The idea of wealth and fertility is emphasized by the gold border edging the blue. The ancient ship alludes to shipping and the maritime trade generally.
The symbols along the top of the shield stand for the principal pursuits of the area: coal mining, farming and grazing, and industry and trade. The lighthouse symbolizes the well-known Nobby's Head Light, while the Mural Crown signifies City status. The beaches in the city area are depicted by the compartment on which the whole achievement stands, and the seagulls recall the setting and the nature of the city of Newcastle.
The arms used by Newcastle from about 1860 until about 1961.
The arms on the town hall
The old arms in the town
Literature : Information provided by Denis Towner (email@example.com); images from The Australian Heraldry Society (facebook page)