|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on October 31, 1972.
The arms combine elements from the seals and arms of the former municipalities; a tent from Veldhausen and the house and roundels from Neuenhaus, see below. The tent used on the seal of Veldhausen was the war-tent of the General Rabenhaupt, Baron tho Sucha, A Dutch general from the 17th century.
The previous arms were granted in 1964.
These arms show the roundels (bezants) of the County Bentheim with a canting house (Haus) as an element for the city. In 1317 the Counts of Bentheim built a new castle (new house, Neuen-Haus), which developed into a village. In 1369 Neuenhaus received city rights.
The oldest seal dates from the late 14th century and already shows a house on the shield of the Counts of Bentheim. All later seals and arms have shown a similar composition, even though the shape of the house varied widely through the centuries, see below.
The arms as shown in 1891
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler,1964-1971, Ahrens, 1891