|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
In Silber auf grünem Boden eine grüne Tanne, an deren Stamm sich beiderseits je ein widersehender schwarzer Wolf aufrichtet.
The village developed around the monastery of St. Walterich, which was founded in the 9th century. In 1328 it was granted city rights by the counts of Löwenstein-Wolfsölden, who ruled the area. The oldest seal of the city only showed a crosier, which in the 17th century was held by two wolves.
The wolves are probably taken as a canting symbol for the Wolfsölden family. After the secularisation early in the 19th century, the crosier was replaced by a tree, which should represent the large forests in the area.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.