|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
Meppen received city rights in 1383 from Adolf, Bishop of Münster. The oldest seal probably dates from the same time, but is known only from 1483. The seal already showed the above arms, with Saint Paul as supporter behind the shield. The colours and the bar are derived from the arms of the diocese and State of Münster. The cross most likely is just a local symbol to distinguish the arms from the state arms.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler,1964-1971, 8 volumes; Ahrens, 1891