|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were adopted in 1936 after the merger of Höhr, Grenzhausen and Grenzau. The arms were based on a 17th century seal of the local pottery guild. The old seal also showed a complex escutcheon with the arms of Trier, Neuwied and Isenburg-Grenzau, the historical territories to which the area belonged. As these arms were too complicated the escutcheon was removed and the arms were officially granted in 1950. As pottery has been of great importance for the local economy, the jars were an appropriate symbol.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.