|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
In Silber auf grünem Berg eine rote Burgruine, begleitet von zwei grünen Tannen.
Furtwangen was founded around 1200 by the Benedictine Abbey of St. George, recieved town rights in 1749 and city rights in 1873. In 1806 the city became part of Baden and the oldest seal dates from the same time. It simply showed the arms of Baden. Since 1821 the seals showed the ruin of the Heidenschloss-castle surrounded by pine trees. From 1873 this composition was also used in a shield and slightly simplified. The arms have not changed since.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.