Euskirchen

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Wappen der Welt
Germany.jpg
German heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of Germany
Deutsche Wappen
Germany-flag.jpg

  • Total pages in the German section : 18,576

EUSKIRCHEN

State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District (Kreis) : Euskirchen
Additions : 1969 Billig, Dom-Esch, Elsig, Euenheim, Flamersheim, Frauenberg, Grossbüllesheim, Kleinbüllesheim, Kreuzweingarten-Rheder, Kuchenheim, Kuchheim, Niederkastenholz, Palmersheim, Roitzheim, Schweinheim, Stotzheim, Weidesheim, Wisskirchen, Wüschheim

Wappen von Euskirchen

Official blazon

(de) In rotem Feld ein goldener Torturm, der oben mit zwei kleinen Zinnentürmchen gekrönt ist. Der Turm wird zu beiden Seiten von je einem kleinen Schildchen begleitet, rechts im silbernen Feld ein einwärts gekehrter und goldgekrönter roter doppelschwänziger Löwe, links in goldenem Feld ein schwarzer Löwe.

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted in 1954 and confirmed on July 6, 1970.

Euskirchen received city rights in 1304 from the Counts of Monschau-Falkenburg-Limburg. The oldest seal dates from the same time and shows a gate with two towers and two small shields, each with the two-tailed lion of Limburg. The second known seal dates from the 18th century and shows the same composition. The left lion, however is now changed into the black lion of Jülich, as the Dukes of Jülich acquired the city in 1368. The arms are thus identical to the latter seal. The additions in 1969 did not have an effect on the arms.

In the early 20th century the arms below were shown in the Kaffee Hag albums. These arms show the basically the same elements, but in a different composition, see below.

Seal of Euskirchen

Seal from around 1900
Wappen von Euskirchen

The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Arms (crest) of Euskirchen

The arms in the Abadie albums


Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Kaffee Hag albums 1920s.