|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) In blauem Schild auf grünem Dreiberg sitzend eine rechtshin gewandte silberne Taube mit goldener Bewehrung; darüber in der linken Schildecke eine silberne heraldische Rose mit goldenen Kelchblättern und Staubgefäßen.
The arms were granted in 1939.
The oldest known seals of the town date from the 17th century and already show a pigeon. The pigeon most likely is a canting symbol, from Duwe. All later seals and images have shown a pigeon, but the size and shape of the bird has changed considerably. Similarly, often some branches were added as well. The rose in the above arms was added in 1939 and is derived from the arms of the Lords of Duingen.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.