Carnoustie

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

Overseas possessions


  • Total pages in the British section : 3,056

CARNOUSTIE

Burgh

Incorporated into : 1975 Angus District Council (1996 Angus Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Carnoustie

Official blazon

Vert, a pale Argent charged with a pallet Azure both wavy between four plates paleways, two in dexter base and as many in sinister chief, all between two flanches Or charged with three bars wavy of the Third, all surmounted of a bend Sable charged with three mascles of the Second; on a chief of the Last a boar's head couped Gules, armed Proper and langued Azure, between two martlets volant of the Fifth.

Below the Shield which is ensigned of a coronet appropriate to a Burgh is placed in an Escrol this Motto "Stay the Course".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on January 14, 1953.

The arms follow a rather elaborate pattern and were the subject of some discussion.

The mascles recall the Kinloch connection and the black and silver colours on the bend, the link with the Dalhousie family.
The harry wavy is for Barry parish, the blue and gold (the Kinloch livery colours) being for the sea and the sands.

The green field represents the famous Carnoustie golf courses and the silver roundels, golf balls.

The pale wavy is for the Lochty Burn which separates the parishes of Barry and Panbride.

In the chief, the boar's head recalls Kinloch and also Elphinstone, Lord and Abbot of Balmerino, who once owned some of Barry parish.

The black martlets recall the crows on the device (called the Craws' Nestie) on the Burgh seal, the oyster catcher of St. Bride, and thus Panbride parish, and the Danish raven in allusion to King Malcolm II's defeat of the Danes under Camus at the Battle of Barry in about 1010.

The motto is a most appropriate one for a well-known golfing centre.

seal of Carnoustie

Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s

Community Council

Arms (crest) of Carnoustie

Official blazon

Vert, a pale Argent charged with a pallet Azure both wavy between four plates paleways, two in dexter base and two in sinister chief, all between two flanches Or charged with three bars wavy of the Third, all surmounted of a bend Sable charged with three mascles of the Second, on a chief of the Last a boar's head couped Gules, armed Proper and langued Azure, between two martlets volant of the Fifth.

Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol under the same this Motto "Stay the Course".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on October 30, 1980.

These are the Burgh arms with a crown of a community council.


Literature : Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 2001 Scotland.jpg