|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on July 3, 1911 by the Grand-Duke of Oldenburg.
The upper half of the arms show an eagle, for Friesland, the region in which the city is situated, and the quartered arms of Oldenburg. The lower half shows a ship with the banners of Oldenburg, which is a symbol for the importance of the harbour and shipping for the city.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.