Anderlecht

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
Belgium.jpg
Belgian heraldry portal
Belgische wapens
Armorial de Belgique
Belgium-flag.jpg

ANDERLECHT

Province : Stadsgewest Brussel / Région Bruxelles

Wapen van Anderlecht/Armoiries de Anderlecht

Official blazon

  • (1818) no official blazon
  • (1840) Een groen veld met het gulden beeld van H. Guido. (the blazon meantions green, but should be blue)

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on October 7, 1818 and again on June 10, 1840.

The arms show the local patron saint St. Gideon. The saint originated from the area and went on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land in 1042. Ever since he is the local patron saint. He is buried in the local church.

The colours are the Dutch national colours. When in the early 19th century the council applied for the arms, no colours were specified. All non-coloured arms were granted in the national colours. After the independence of Belgium in 1830, the arms were confirmed with the field blazoned, but the colours were not changed and the colour change in the blazon is considered a mistake.

Wapen van/Blason de Anderlecht

The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Wapen van/Blason de Anderlecht

The arms on a police badge (source)
Arms of Anderlecht

The arms on the town hall (image Derek Howard)
Arms of Anderlecht

The arms in the town hall (image Derek Howard)
Arms of Anderlecht

The arms as a street illumination (image Derek Howard)
Arms of Anderlecht

The arms on a litter bin (image Derek Howard)


Literature : Servais, 1955