|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were officially granted in 1968.
The lion in the upper half as well as the colours are derived from the arms of the Dukes of Lüneburg, who historically ruled the area for many centuries. The lower half shows an urn, symbol for a prehistoric cemetery discovered in the municipality in 1935.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.