|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The oldest known seal of the city dates from the early 15th century and already shows the above arms. The quartered shield is the arms of the Hohenzollern dynasty, as they owned the city at the time. The swan is a canting element (Schwan=swan). The swan appeared as a single symbol on a seal from 1652, and again in the early 19th century, when the city became a part of Bayern and thus all references to old dynasties and states became politically unacceptable. In 1933 the historical arms were officially restored and granted.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the Deutsches Wappenmuseum