|Heraldry of the World|
|Swiss heraldry portal|
Armorial de Suisse
Canton : Zürich
The arms were granted on June 7, 1930.
The otter is derived from the arms of Eberhard Ottikon von Männedorf who died in 1480. He ruled the village as governor for the city of Zürich. The arms were taken by the Obervogtei Männedorf, and in the 16th century the fish appeared in the mouth of the otter. In 1770 the village officially adopted the arms, which was confirmed in 1930, as in the meantime the otter was often replaced by other animals, such as lion, beavers or even as a squirrel.
Variations of the arms in the Kaffee Hag albums 1914-1960
Literature : Ziegler, 1977