Province : Lleida
The castle of Llimiana (11th century) was one of the castles on the frontier between the counties of Pallars and Urgell, near the Muslim territories. Nowadays there is no trace of it. This castle belonged to several families until 1481, when it was granted to Joan de Lanuza by the king Ferran II; six years later, it reverted to the royal jurisdiction. The two scutcheons at each side of the castle are the arms of the Lanuzas (a lion Sable on Or) and the royal arms of Catalonia-Aragon (four pales Gules on Or).
Literature : Image taken from http://www.gencat.es/sial/; background by Enric Fontvila