Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Rheinland-Pfalz
District (Kreis) : Bernkastel-Wittlich (until 1969 Wittlich)
Wittlich received city rights in 1291 and belonged until 1794 to the State of Trier. The arms appear for the first time on a small seal of the city dating from the early 14th century. The arms were not changed until the 19th century, when the keys are often shown crosswise. The original colours are silver and red, the colours of the State of Trier. In the 19th century also the blue and silver of the Wittelsbach family appears, as the city then belonged to the Pfalz (the Wittelsbach family were Princes of the Pfalz). In the early 20th century the old arms were restored.
The keys are the symbol of St. Peter, patron saint of Trier.
In the early 20th century the arms below were shown in the Kaffee Hag albums, in different colours.
The arms as shown in the Kaffee Hag albums.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Kaffee Hag albums 1920s.