Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Rheinland-Pfalz
District (Kreis) : Cochem-Zell (until 1969 Zell)
The arms were granted in 1951.
The oldest seal of the city dates from the mid 13th century and showed the chequered shield of the Counts of Sponheim, with a tower as a symbol for the local castle. In 1354 the base of the shield showed some waves, symbolising the Mosel river. On the same seal the tower was flanked by a key and a hand, holding a document. These arms remained unchanged until the 18th century.
The key and hand were removed in the 19th century. In 1951 a horse for Traben was added. The horse is a canting symbol for Traben (which means to trot).
Hupp showed the arms with only the tower:
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s