Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Wunsiedel (until 1973 a free urban district)
Additions : Erkersreuth, Heidelheim
The arms show the quartered shield of Hohenzollern dynasty, as the Markgraves of Nürnberg were descendants of this dynasty. The combination of the Hohenzollern arms with the two antlers first appear in a seal known from 1430. The antlers probably indicate the hunting area and hunting castle of the Margraves in the Lordship of Selb.
The first known coloured image of the arms dates from 1581 and shows the antlers black on white, the colours of Hohenzollern again. In the 18th century the present colours for the antlers were used for the first time. In 1819 the city adopted the arms in the present colours as its official arms.
Hupp showed the same composition, but with the historical Zollern colours and golden antlers:
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s