Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District (Kreis) : Borken (until 1974 Ahaus)
Incorporated into : 1974 Ahaus
The village developed around a castle built in 1316 by Otto of Ahaus. The only seal known of the village, dates from the 18th century. It shows the canting stones (Stein=stone) around the letter O, the initial of the village. The colours are known from an early 18th century stained glass window. Sometimes a helmet is used on the arms with as a crest two wings wing with a stone in between.
Hupp showed the arms in the 1920s in different colours:
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s