Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Passau (until 1973 Vilshofen)
The arms are those of the Counts of Ortenburg. The city was a free county for many centuries and did not form part of Bayern until 1803. In 1811 the local council mentioned that no historical arms of seals were known. A few years later the above arms appeared on the local seal and mayor's chain.
In 1576 Emperor Rudolf II intended to grant the city and county its own arms, as a concept grant of arms still exists. This grant showed a divided shield, with in the upper half the arms of the Counts of Ortenburg, and in the lower half a castle. As no seals or images of these arms have ever been found, it is likely that the arms were never officially granted.
Hupp showed in the 1920s the bend as a bar:
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s