Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Ansbach (until 1973 Feuchtwangen)
The present arms first appear in a seal dating from 1671. Previously the city seals (known since 1374) showed a shield with in the left half the lion and in the right the stick. The arms were officially granted in 1819 and haven't changed since.
The stick is taken from the arms of the Eichstätt Abbey to which the city belonged in the 13th and 14th century. The lion is the legendary arms of St. Willibald, the patron saint of the Eichstätt Abbey.
Literature : Stadler, K., 1964-1971.