Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Rheinland-Pfalz
District (Kreis) : Mainz-Bingen (until 1969 Bingen)
Verbandsgemeinde : Nierstein-Oppenheim
Oppenheim became an imperial city in 1226. The seals of the city until 1925 all showed a King's head with crown. Only the second seal, known since 1266, shows the Emperor on a throne.
The imperial eagle is widely used in local architecture since medieval times, but does not appear in (small) seals until the 17th century. The eagle has been used in the arms of the city since 1609 and the arms thus have not changed since.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.