State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District (Kreis) : Coesfeld (until 1974 Lüdinghausen)
The arms were granted in 1969.
Olfen was granted town rights in 1586 by the Bishops of Münster, who ruled the area. The arms show thus the arms of Münster with the letters W and O for Wigbold Olfen (the towns in this part of Germany were called Wigbold). The first seal showed St. Vitus as the patron saint instead of the letters, but the second seal, known since 1601 already shows the arms.
Hupp showed the arms in the 1920s as on the oldest seal:
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s