District (Kreis) : Hohenlohekreis (until 1973 Öhringen)
Additions : 1970s Baumerlenbach, Büttelbronn, Cappel, Eckartsweiler, Michelbach am Wald, Möglingen, Ohrnberg, Schwöllbronn, Verrenberg
State : Baden-Württemberg
The arms were officially granted in 1954.
The key is the symbol of St. Peter, the patron saint of the Abbey founded in 1037 and also of the village which grew around the Abbey. Öhringen grew rapidly and received city rights before 1253. The oldest seal of the city dates from the 14th century and shows St. Peter, holding the key and a book in his hands. On both sides of the saint, a canting ear (Ohr) was added. This composition was used on the seals until the beginning of the 20th century, see the image published by Hupp below. The arms with only the key first appear around 1500 and were commonly used since the 17th century.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes;
Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s.