Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Sachsen
District (Kreis) : Mittelsachsen (until 2008 Mittweida)
Verwaltungsgemeinschaft : Mittweida
Additions : 1900 Rößgen; 1911 Neudörfchen; 1923 Kockisch; 1973 Zschöppichen; 1994 Ringethal; 1996 Frankenau; 1999 Lauenhain-Tanneberg
The arms are those of the Counts of Meissen, who were Lords of Mittweida until 1423. The arms with the lion already appear in the oldest 15th century seals of the city and have not changed since. The arms were officially granted in 1894 and again in 1938.
Literature : Bensing et al., 1984; www.mittweida.de