German Civic Heraldry
Until 1894 Graitz
State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Lichtenfels
The arms were granted in 1478 by Philipp Count of Henneberg and Bishop of Bamberg. The town at the time was a possession of the State of Bamberg. The image shows the local church and the description in the grant (which still exists) is very detailed, see below. The arms show the local church at the time. The arms thus did not change since and were officially confirmed (and with a better detailed description) on March 15, 1978.
In the 1930s Hupp showed the arms with a blue roof:
Literature : Images and info from: Stadler, 1990;
Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s.