Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Schleswig-Holstein
District (Kreis) : Steinburg
The arms were granted on August 3, 1901.
The castle in the upper half symbolises the local castle, built in the 12th century. The ship and the waves symbolise the importance of shipping and fisheries on the Stör for the village. When Kellinghusen received city rights in 1877 the city adopted arms with an oak tree on a hill, with the nettle-leaf of Holstein in the upper corner. These arms were never officially granted.
Hupp showed the arms in the 1920s in a slightly different composition :
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s