Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Erlangen-Höchstadt (until 1973 Höchstadt an der Aisch)
When the city rights are granted is not clear, but the oldest seal is known from 1343 shows already the arms. The arms show the lion of the monastery of Bamberg, which owned the area. When in the first half of the last century the worldly possessions of the (semi-independent) monastery were transferred to Bayern, the bend was removed. In 1836 the old arms were restored.
Besides the arms above, there are some images of the arms of the city with a cross over the lion. This cross (as seen in a roll of arms by Siebmacher in 1603 and in the church in 1700) is the cross of the Order of Malta, as the church was owned by this Order.
Use of the arms in the city :
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.