Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Schleswig-Holstein
District (Kreis) : Ostholstein (until 1974 Oldenburg in Holstein)
The arms were officially granted in 1933 and are based on the oldest know seal of the city, known since 1355. The seal and the arms shows the city with above the houses the arms and the banners of the Counts of Holstein, who ruled the city at the time. The base is canting, Hafen meaning harbour, and symbolises the sea and the importance of fishing for the city.
Later seals showed a reduced number of houses and the fishes were removed. Later the sea was replaced by a green or blue base. In 1933 the old composition was restored.
Hupp showed in his books two versions of the arms; the first from around 1925 and the second as the proposal for arms in 1933. The latter is nearly identical as the final arms, but with different colours of the fish.
The arms from the 1920s
The proposal of 1933
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s