Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Amberg-Sulzbach (until 1972 Amberg)
The arms first appear on the seal of the town in the early 16th century and were confirmed by Prince Friedrich III in 1567. The rooster (Hahn) and wavy bar (Bach = stream) are canting elements. The rooster is derived from the arms of the Lords of Hanbeck, who ruled the area until the late 14th century. Their successors were the Dukes of Bayern, of the Wittelsbach family. The bar in the arms shows the diamonds of this family.
The bar with the diamonds was removed in the 17th century but restored when the arms were officially granted in 1964.
Hupp showed in the 1920s the arms without the bar:
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s