Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
Urban district (Stadtkreis) : Bottrop
Additions : 1975 Kirchhellen
The old (left) arms were granted in 1926, the new arms (right) in 1976.
The village became a boom-town at the end of the 19th century, due to the coal mining. It became a city in 1919. The village only used a seal with the Prussian eagle. The arms granted in 1926 show a symbol of the coal mining placed upon the cross of the Teutonic Order. The loge of Welheim of the Order owned the area from 1230 to the 18th century.
In the new arms elements from the former arms of Bottrop and Kirchhellen were combined.
Hupp showed the arms in the 1920s with a golden hammer:
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s; Present image taken from here.