Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District (Kreis) : Steinfurt
Incorporated into : 1975 Steinfurt
The arms were granted in 1930 and are based on the old arms of the medieval Lords of Borghorst. The known seals of the family all date from the 14th and 15th centuries and show 8 diamonds, in two rows of four each.
The village itself never had seals prior to the late 19th century, nor did the council use any arms. The diamonds appear for the first time as symbol for the village on a mid 19th century banner. In 1893 the, now nine, diamonds are included on the seal of the village and were officially granted as arms in 1930.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.