Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
District (Kreis) : Ludwigsburg
Additions : Hofen, Hohenstein
State : Baden-Württemberg
Bönnigheim was founded around 1280 and the oldest known seal of the city dates from 1285. As an imperial possession the seal showed the imperial eagle. In the 14th century the eagle was replaced by a shield with two buffalo horns, the arms of the Lords of Sachsenheim. These governed the city at the time as vassals of the Bishops of Mainz. In the 15th century the horns were replaced by the wheel of Mainz. And in the 17th century the crescent was added. The crescent is taken from the arms of the Lords of Wöllwarth, later governors of Bönnigheim.
The arms were again changed when the city became a possession of Württemberg in 1785. The wheel was replaced by two deer antlers of Württemberg. In 1921 the council returned to the old arms, but with the wheel and the crescent in a divided shield. The division line was finally removed in 1936 and the old arms were thus restored.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.