Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
German Civic Heraldry
State : Rheinland-Pfalz
District (Kreis) : Bernkastel-Wittlich (until 1969 Bernkastel)
Verbandsgemeinde : Bernkastel-Kues
Additions : 1970 Andel, Wehlen
Bernkastel recieved city rights in 1291 and belonged to the State of Trier since 1280. Since 1905 the city is named Bernkastel-Kues.
The oldest seal of the city dates from the early 14th century, and shows the cross of Trier with in the first and fourth quarter a key, the symbol of St. Peter, patron saint of Trier. The two other quarters showed a canting bear (Ber, Bär). All later seals showed similar compositions, but without the cross of Trier. The lobster was added in 1951 as a symbol for Cardinal Cusanus.
In the early 20th century the arms below were shown in the Kaffee Hag albums. These arms show the bear and key, and an escutcheon for the State of Trier.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Kaffee Hag albums 1920s.