From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Belgium - Belgische Overheidswapens / Armorial de Belgique
The arms were granted on February 26, 1845.
The arms are derived from the arms of the Lords of Lichtervelde, who in the 14th century acquired the Estates of Esen and Zarren. The arms are first mentioned as arms for the village on a map of the Vrije van Brugge area in 1561.
Het wapen in de Koffie Hag albums +/- 1930
Literature : Servais, 1955