From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
Geviert; 1 und 4: in Silber der schwarze Großbuchstabe W; 2 und 3: wieder geviert von Silber und Schwarz.
The arms were officially granted on April 30, 1927.
The city was a possession of the Hohenzollern family and the arms of the family appear (including mantling and crest) on the oldest known seal of the city, dating from around 1340.
The second seal, known since 1394 shows already the same composition as in the present arms, with the letter W in the second and third quarter, and the arms of the Hohenzollern family in the two other quarters (compare Wonsees). In the late 15th century the letter W was placed in the first and fourth quarter, as in the present arms.
The first seal of the Wunsiedel
The second seal of the Wunsiedel
The third seal of the Wunsiedel
The fourth seal of the Wunsiedel
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.