From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
State : Rheinland-Pfalz
Urban District (Kreisfreie Stadt) : Worms
Additions : 1898 Hochheim, Neuhausen, Pfiffligheim; 1942 Herrnsheim, Horchheim, Leiselheim, Weinsheim; 1969 Abenheim, Heppenheim, Ibersheim, Pfeddersheim, Rheindürkheim, Wies-Oppenheim
Worms was an important city and the seat of a Bishop already in the early Middle Ages. When the city rights were granted is not clear, but the oldest seal is known from 1198. It shows the patron saint of the city, St. Peter on a throne.
The symbol of the saint, the key, is known as the arms of the city since 1498. As supporters two dragons are used. The single key has been used as a symbol of the city on coins since the 13th century. The dragon first appears as a symbol in the 13th century. The city still sometimes uses the dragon as a supporter.
The star is also used on coins and seals since the 13th century, but was only later incorporated in the arms.
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.