From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were officially granted on November 18, 1991.
The arms show the eagle of Brandenburg with the wheel of the State of Mainz on its breast. A large part of the district belonged from the 9th century until 1802 to the State of Mainz]. After 1802 the area belonged to the Prussian province of Brandenburg.
The combination of the two symbols was first mentioned in 1817, when the arms were added to the great arms of the Kings of Prussia as the 32nd field (of 48).
Literature : Ulle, 1994