|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on April 6, 1966.
The arms show the arms of the Counts of Wittgenstein. The family owned a series of castles in Erndtebrück, Berleburg, Wittgenstein and Richstein, and named themselves after the castle in Wittgenstein. The family became extinct in 1360, but the arms were continued by their successors, the counts of Sayn(-Wittgenstein). In the 16th century the county was divided in a northern part with Berleburg as the capital and a Souther part around Laasphe. As the district Wittgenstein forms the old heartland of the old county, the arms of the family were chosen as the arms.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.