|Heraldry of the World|
|South Africa heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of South Africa
- Wapen: In blou, 'n swart paal gesoom van silwer, belaai in die skildhoof met 'n tandrat van silwer en in die skildvoet met 'n goue lelie; aan weerskante vergesel van drie bomekaargeplaaste goudstawe.
- Helmteken: 'n Koedoekop en hals van natuurlike kleur.
- Wrong en Dekklede: Goud en blou.
- Skildhouers: Regs 'n goue leeu, getong en genael van rooi, links 'n swart adelaar met goue bek en pote, staande op 'n gekronkelde groen slang.
- Wapenspreuk: SALUTATIO
- Arms: Azure, on a pale Sable fimbriated Argent, in chief a cogwheel Argent, in base a fleur-de-lys Or, between on each side three gold bricks in pale.
- Crest: A kudu's head and neck proper.
- Wreath and Mantling: Or and Azure.
- Supporters: Dexter, a lion Or armed and langued Gules; sinister, an eagle Sable, claws and beak Or, standing on a snake knowed Vert.
- Motto: SALUTATIO
The arms allude to the fact that Welkom is a gold-mining town. The black pale on the shield represents a mineshaft, the gold ingots represent the mines, the cogwheel symbolises industry, and the blue represents water. The fleur de lis comes from the arms of mining magnate Sir Ernest Oppenheimer (who took the fleurs de lis from the arms of Kimberley, which took them from the arms of the Cape of Good Hope Colony, which took them from the French royal arms!).
Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (stickers, papers, books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.
All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.