From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
State : Hessen
District (Kreis) : Waldeck-Frankenberg (until 1973 Waldeck)
Additions : 1971 Alraft, Höringhausen, Netze, Nieder-Werbe, Sachsenhausen, Selbach; 1974 Dehringhausen, Freienhagen, Ober-Werbe
Around the castle of the Counts of Schwalenberg-Waldeck a village developed in the 12th century. The village of Waldeck received city rights in 1232. The oldest seal of the city dates from the same time and is known since 1254. The seal showed the arms of the Counts of Waldeck, a 8-pointed star. A second 13th century seal also showed the same shield. Ever since the star has been used as the arms of the city, but the city uses since the 19th century a 6-pointed star to distinguish the city arms from the arms of the State (later district) of Waldeck.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.