|The National Arms of the United Kingdom||The National Flag||Location|
The United Kingdom consists of 4 countries : England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Associated with the UK, but not constitutionally part of it, are three Crown Dependencies (Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man). The United Kingdom still has fourteen overseas territories.
The organisation of local government in England is complex. England has either county councils and district councils or unitary authorities, and London which consists of 32 London boroughs. Scotland is divided on a basis of 32 council areas, Wales consists of 22 unitary authorities, Northern Ireland has 26 district councils.
Most of all these councils use coats of arms.
Both in 1974 and in 1996 there have been large reforms in all parts of the United Kingdom, which has resulted in a large number of obsolete bodies, many of which used arms.
All these are listed below (when known).
Coats of arms of local government councils
The lists include councils in the whole United Kingdom and the Isle of Man.
- Boroughs, Urban-, District- and other councils (Select by first letter):
Arms per country
Other territories and dependencies
This includes any (overseas) possession, colony or other territory, which is not fully independent. Former colonies are listed as countries, except when the colony was succeeded by multiple countires (like Straits Settlements).
Overseas possessions, colonies and dependencies
Proposed arms for the British Empire (1900)
Click on image to enlarge !
1: Union Jack, 2 England, 3 Scotland, 4 Ireland 5 Wales, 6 Isle of Man 7 Channel Islands 8 Gibraltar, 9 Malta, 10 Cyprus, 11 Aden, 12 Br. East Africa, 13 Uganda, 14 Sudan, 15 Sierra Leone, 16 Lagos, 17 St. Helena, 18 Cape Colony, 19 Central Africa, 20 Mauritius, 21 Ceylon, 22 India, 23 Bombay, 24 Punjab, 25 Oudh, 26 Bengal, 27 Central provinces, 28 Madras, 29 Burma, 30 Straits Settlements, 31 Hong Kong, 32 Sarawak, 33 Br. New Guinea, 34 West Australia, 35 South Australia, 36 Queensland, 37 New South Wales, 38 Victoria, 39 Tasmania, 40 New Zealand, 41 Fiji, 42 Falklands, 43 Br. Guiana, 44 Trinidad, Leeward, Windward, Bahama and other islands, 45 Jamaica, 46 Br. Honduras. 47 Bermuda, 48 Newfoundland, 49 Pr. Edward Island, 50 Nova Scotia, 51 New Brunswick, 52 Quebec, 53 Ontario, 54 Manitoba, 55 NW Territories, 56 Br. Columbia
For former colonial arms, see the now independent countries.
Other civic heraldry
Heraldic collector's items
- Heraldic stamps from the United Kingdom
- Heraldic collector's albums:
- Brooke Bond - Flags and Emblems of the World
- Coffee Hag - Coat of arms of cities and towns of the British Isles
- Heraldic tobacco cards:
- Edwards, Ringer and Bigg - Flags of all nations
- Cavanders UK School Badges
- Cope - Arms, Flags and Types of Nations
- Dexter's - UK Borough arms
- Lambert & Butler - Kings & Queens of England
- Mitchell Town Seals
- B. Morris & Sons - National and Colonial Arms
- Godfrey Phillips - Arms of the English Sees
- Godfrey Phillips - School Badges
- John Player & Sons - Countries Flags and Arms
- John Player & Sons - Country Seats and Arms
- Taddy& Co - Heraldry Series
- Thomson & Porteous - Coats of arms of British Towns
- Wills's: Borough arms I, II, III, IV
- Wills's - Arms of of Public Schools (small) and large
- Wills's Arms of the Bishopric
- Wills's - Arms of the British Empire (small)
- Wills's - Arms of Oxford and Cambridge Colleges
- Wills's - Arms of Universities
- Wills's - Arms of Universities
- Wills's - Ships' Badges
- Heraldic trade cards:
Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (stickers, papers, books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.
All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.